Friday, November 18, 2011

No Movie for Number 33

Well, I had to skip number 26 and I have to do it again for number 33.  I have seen no movies with a “33” or variations thereof in the title, let alone one good enough to recommend.

“What about Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult?” you might be asking.  Well, that’s thirty-three and a third, not thirty-three.  It’s the same thing as 9 ½ Weeks being its own post separate from the number nine.  Just an aside – I wish that they had kept the original title for this movie – Naked Gun 33 1/3: For the Record.  They figured that by 1994 not enough people knew what a record was to get the joke, so they changed the title to the existing generic one.

As for the number 33, I identified two movies I might have liked had I been able to watch them – a 2011 Chinese/Australian film whose title is 33 Postcards and a 2008 German/Polish film titled 33 Scenes from Life. 

33 Postcards especially seemed like it would be a movie that would appeal to me.  It stars Guy Pearce (Memento) as a man who sponsors an orphan Chinese girl over many years, and one year while she is on a musical competition trip to Australia she goes to meet him.  She finds out that he is not what he has been saying he is.  As far as I have been able to find out, it was shown at a film festival in Australia and it has only opened in China.  Here is the trailer for it: 



If anyone has seen one or both of these movies, please let me know by leaving a comment here.  I’m interested in your opinion on them.

If I ever get a chance to see one, or if a new movie with a 33 in the title comes out that I like, then I will replace this post with my recommendation for it.  Until then I have to move on to the number 34.

[Note – you can see all the Movies by Numbers, as well as get some hints on what’s to come, at this link.]

No comments:

Post a Comment