Saturday, March 31, 2012

Quarky Movies

“I have my eye on you Quark.” – Odo, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

That category title is not a typo.  I did not mean “quirky”; I meant “quarky”.  Okay, so I made the word up (and for a small fee I’ll license it to you).  I am using it to refer to quarks.  You know – quarks.  The subatomic particles that make up all matter?  Never heard of them?  Here's far more than you probably ever want to know about them.

For the purposes of this category all you need to know regarding them are that there are six “flavors” (types) of them.  Those flavors are Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Bottom, and Top.  Some people prefer to use the terms Beauty and Truth, rather than Bottom and Top.  I am going to do a set of movie recommendations that use a flavor of quark somewhere in its title.

Subatomic particles?  A quote not just from Star Trek, but one of the lesser known Star Treks?  Plays on words?  A Wikipedia link?  Yes, I am trying to come up with the absolute geekiest movie category ever created.  What do you think?  Did I succeed?

As I post the reviews, I will come back and post the links to them here:

Up
35 Up and the "Up" Series (already posted earlier)
Pump Up the Volume (already posted earlier)
Up
Down
Strange
Charm
Bottom
Top
Beauty
American Beauty (already posted earlier)
Dangerous Beauty
Truth

On to the reviews…

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea. I see some obvious choices for some of these (Up) but I'm hoping that I'm wrong on some of them at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @SJHoneywell - Thanks. Yes, Up will be the first selection. I thought of doing Up in the Air, but having a title perfectly matched to the type was too much to resist. There is also the Up series of documentaries, but I covered them last fall during my Movies by the Numbers posts ("35 Up and the Up Series"). This just reminded me that I should add that link to the table like I did with American Beauty.

    ReplyDelete