Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Earthquake!

I hadn’t planned to post today, but as I was reading everyone else’s blogs I just got a hell of a scare.  An earthquake, preliminary estimates of 4.6 magnitude, just hit about five minutes ago as I write this.  The epicenter was only 7 miles from my house.  It was felt as far away as Nova Scotia and New York State.

Those of you in California, or other earthquake prone areas, may be giggling a little bit at how small this is, but for someone who lives in an area that almost never has one, this was a shock.  It’s only the third one I have ever felt in my life, and it’s the strongest, probably because it’s the closest I’ve been to the epicenter.  The last time Maine had a damaging earthquake was 1940.  This is in the range that might start to cause damage.

If you are wondering, I had no damage that I know of.  I’ll need to wait for daylight to look at the outside of my house.  I had no warning.  It was just a literal “boom!” and I thought my new furnace was exploding.  I raced down the stairs and opened my cellar door, but by then the noise was starting to subside.

The weird thing is, it wasn’t really a gradual shaking like I had felt in a lighter earthquake many years ago.  That was a longer rumble that started out as just noise like a truck was driving down my road, then a gentle shaking as the noise peaked, then the noise gradually fading away.  This earthquake was immediate.  There was no noise buildup.  It was an immediate strong shaking that eventually got weaker and stopped.

Anyway, I got my stair work in for tonight, so I guess I’ll go back to catching up on your blogs.

4 comments:

  1. Woah, that must have been frightening! I never experienced an earthquake. Glad you're all right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This is only the second one I've felt. (I heard a third, but it wasn't strong enough to noticeably shake anything.) By the time I realized this latest one was an earthquake, and not something going wrong with my furnace, it was starting to subside. By a couple seconds later when I moved to stand in a doorway it was almost over.

      I was on the phone with a relative in California many years ago and all of a sudden she said a startled "Oh". I asked what was wrong and she more calmly replied that they were having an earth tremor. She continued the conversation after a couple of seconds like it was nothing. Living where she did she was apparently very used to them.

      Delete
  2. Holy crap, that was an earthquake? I thought my downstairs neighbors were just having sexy time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you live in New England, it was the quake; if you don't, it was your neighbors.

      Delete